During November and December 2008 a trenched evaluation at the site of a proposed new recreation ground revealed two main concentrations of archaeological features.
The most significant of these was concealed beneath a thick hillwash layer within a pronounced headland between the two existing fields of the site. Here archaeological features of mainly Iron Age to Roman date were encountered. Ditches on a variety of alignments, Iron Age and Roman pits and undated post-holes were revealed. Nearby probable Bronze Age remains consisting of a spread of burnt flint were deeply buried under colluvial deposits filling in an ancient channel or hollow. Down slope from the main concentration of features were undated waterlogged deposits, probably associated with a spring line running along the slope of the hill; these could represent earlier ponds.
In a second area of interest ditches and other features were uncovered. Some of these were undated but a group of ditches, pits and a finds spread over a deep hillwash layer indicate a Late Iron Age / Early Roman date.
A previous fieldwalking and metal detector survey (September 2008) revealed a general scatter of prehistoric worked flint, Roman pottery in the vicinity of the first main area of features and a thin spread of medieval and later finds across the whole area, probably associated with manuring of fields. Two metal finds of particular note include a possible Roman drinking bowl (patera) handle made of bronze coated with a white metal and a gold guinea of George III dated 1782.