Thorpe woodlands campsite

An archaeological evaluation was carried at West Harling, Norfolk close to the site of the deserted medieval village of Harling Thorpe. A regular shaped spread of redeposited chalk, with a consistency similar to that of decayed clay lump was found and thought to be the remains of a small building. The general absence of finds suggests that this is probably not a dwelling but an isolated structure or outbuilding. Two fragments of post medieval roof tile suggested that the structure dated no earlier than the 17th/18th century …

Read more

Eastgate Barns Area A, Eastern Way

A programme of archaeological work was undertaken on the site of Eastgate Barns, Bury St Edmunds ahead of redevelopment. The project consisted of seven archaeological evaluation trenches followed by an open area excavation to the north and south of Trench 1. The site lay outside of the limits of the main medieval town and to the north of the roadside occupation along Eastgate Street and is believed to be the site of one of the three medieval abbey grange sites in Bury St Edmunds and was occupied by the cellarer. …

Read more

Worlington Quarry

An archaeological evaluation for part of the Phase 3 area at Worlington Quarry did not identify any archaeological deposits …

Read more

Leiston Old Abbey Chapel

As part of a grant aided programme of consolidation works to the building variously known as Minsmere Chapel, Leiston Chapel or Old Abbey Chapel, English Heritage required that archaeological recording and interpretation would be undertaken as an integral part of the project. The site, which lies within the coastal marshes now occupied by a RSPB bird reserve, was that of the original Premonstratensian Abbey at Leiston built by Ralph de Glanville in about 1182 with a dedication to St. Mary de Insula. Due to increasing inundation by the sea, in 1363 a new abbey complex was built by Robert de Ufford at a site further in land. However, documentary evidence suggests that a presence was maintained at the old site until the dissolution in 1537 and the building on the site is the only surviving evidence of this continuing occupation. Aerial photographs and geophysical survey also suggest that the building was constructed within the body of the original abbey church that itself lay immediately south of a cloister. …

Read more

Cherry Tree Farm

Evaluation on land at Cherry Tree Farm, Wortham, was required to investigate the archaeological potential of the site. Medieval features were found focussed on the green edge in the northern part of the site, suggesting concentrated activity in that vicinity. Elsewhere, features were more scattered and comprised mainly boundary or enclosure ditches. One area of Iron Age activity was identified in the southern part of the site, suggestive of occupation dating from this period in the direct vicinity …

Read more

Queen's Head public house, The Square

An archaeological monitoring was carried out at the above site in advance of the construction of a small extension to the public house …

Read more

Letheringham Hall

Monitoring of desilting works at Letheringham Hall, Letheringham, was carried out as a condition of Scheduled Monument consent …

Read more

Moat Farm

Monitoring of desilting works at Moat Farm, Cretingham, was carried out as a condition of Scheduled Monument consent. …

Read more