Kentford Lodge

An archaeological trenched evaluation was carried out at Kentford Lodge, Kentford, in Suffolk. Thirty-seven trenches were excavated, revealed limited Mesolithic/Neolithic and Roman artefacts, two undated inhumations and evidence of well preserved Late Bronze Age/early Iron Age and early Anglo-Saxon settlement overlooking the River Kennett valley …

Read more

Land off Till Road

Four trenches were excavated on land off Till Road, Lowestoft, prior to submitting a planning application to redevelop the site. Modern disturbance was evident throughout in varying degrees but a single northwest-southeast aligned undated ditch was also recorded …

Read more

Walsham le Willows CEVCP School

A single ditch was identified during monitoring of construction works for a new block of classrooms at Walsham Le Willows Primary School, orientated approximately east-west along the southern edge of the proposed raft foundation for the new building, with a row of small postholes just to the north of it. No dateable evidence was found within any of the features and the ditch and posthole alignment does not appear on any Ordnance Survey map of the area. It appears likely that the features were either contemporary with each other or one was a replacement of the other but that they both marked the same boundary line …

Read more

Clock Field

Fourteen trenches were excavated during evaluation at Clock Field, Bourne Hill, Wherstead. Disturbance believed to be the result of extensive post-medieval mineral extraction was evident throughout the site. No earlier archaeological features were observed nor were any pre-modern features recovered from the upcast spoil …

Read more

World War 2 Tank Training Site, Fritton Lake

A survey of all the known extant remains was carried out a the World War 2 Tank Training Site, Fritton Lake. The main the aim of the survey was to produce a plan of the training establishment and to undertake a basic descriptive record of the remains. Fritton Lake and the surrounding land was used by the 79th Armoured Division as a training and experimental site from 1943 through to 1947. It was used to secretly develop techniques and to instruct tank crews in the operation of amphibious tanks, known as Duplex Drive or DD Tanks, primarily for use in the allied invasion of France during World War 2 …

Read more