Bures Mill, Nayland Road

An archaeological monitoring of footing trenches for a new conservatory revealed a sequence of at least seven layers (including modern topsoil), the lower of which were either flood deposits or had been waterlogged previously. A fragment of pegtile recovered from the base of the exposed sequence suggests that all the observed layers were deposited in the late medieval or post-medieval period …

Read more

Fornham House

An archaeological evaluation was carried out at Fornham House, Fornham St Martin prior to the construction of an extension to the existing care home. Two trenches revealed evidence of a trackway that is recorded on the 1884 Ordinance Survey map. The site was heavily disturbed but a shallow irregular shaped pit may have been early post-medieval as it contained only a single sherd of pottery dated 15th-16th century, and animal bone …

Read more

Land at County Farm (East), Church Field Road

This Desk Based Assessment has set the site within the known archaeological landscape through an updated examination of the Historic Environment Record, aerial photographs and a documentary search, adding to the information known from a previous assessment in 1996 …

Read more

Windy Hall, Church Lane

An archaeological monitoring identified the presence of a pit of probable medieval origin continuing in use into the
early post-medieval period. A small body sherd of a glass vessel recovered from the latest fills of the pit dated to between the 16th and 18th centuries. Additionally, the monitoring identified a large, gravel and sand-filled possible pit, located partly beneath the north-east corner of Windy Hall itself …

Read more

2 Church View

An archaeological monitoring revealed two undated possible quarry pits, one undated posthole and two ditch cuts. These two cuts may represent the same ditch and as such appear to respect a field boundary and road shown on the 1886 First Edition Ordnance Survey map. Despite some truncation near to the existing building, there seem to be well preserved archaeological levels across the site …

Read more

Land Adjacent to Eastgate Street and Minden Close

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on land adjacent to Eastgate Street and Minden Close, Bury St. Edmunds and identified two ditches, a series of large pits (one containing a deposit of horn cores), two smaller pits, deposits associated with the Abbey Precinct wall and possible floor surfaces. The majority of these features have been spotdated to the mid-12th and 14th centuries, whilst only one ditch was dated to the post-medieval period …

Read more

West Row Primary School, Rear Extension

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on land behind West Row Primary School and identified a single ditch of Roman (3rd to 4th century) date. Although only a very short length of the ditch was revealed, its orientation and the character of the fills therein, strongly suggest that it was the eastward continuation of a ditch identified during a previous excavation to the west. Two very small sherds of hand-made sand-tempered pottery recovered from the fill of the ditch suggest the possibility that Iron Age or Saxon remains may also be present in the vicinity …

Read more

34A and B Rectory Cottages

An archaeological monitoring was carried out on land immediately east and south of 34A and B Rectory Cottages, Elveden, Suffolk. One prehistoric pit of probable later Bronze Age or Iron Age date and a further later, possibly post-Roman pit were discovered. These contained Neolithic/Early Bronze Age and Late Bronze Age/Iron Age flint, and Iron Age and Roman pottery. A further undated but possibly associated pit was also found. A possible buried topsoil layer of uncertain age was also observed. Unstratified Mesolithic, Neolithic or later prehistoric flints were recovered. There were generally good levels of preservation, although there was shallow truncation over much of the site, particularly relating to the house footings …

Read more