Exeter House, 2 Church Street

Monitoring for a house extension revealed post-medieval remains of a pit, wall foundation trench, a further unidentified structure, and artefacts …

Read more

Liberty Village Phase 5, RAF Lakenheath

Archaeological evaluation was carried out in advance of the development of Phase 5 at Liberty Village, RAF Lakenheath. A large ring ditch, c.38m in diameter was identified, along with at least one burial. It is probable that this is Bronze Age, although all the finds recovered were Roman or later …

Read more

Hooks Hall Farm

Unfortunately the conversion of a barn to a domestic dwelling was well advanced by the time the archaeological monitoring took place and limited the works that could be examined. A short section of footing was examined and revealed evidence of an earlier building on the site with flint and mortar foundations. This may be the remains of a building that appears on the tithe map of 1840 …

Read more

The White House, Thedwastre Road

An archaeological evaluation took place on land associated with The White House, Thedwastre Road, Thurston in September 2008 in advance of the construction of four dwellings and associated garages. Eleven linear trenches were investigated which produced evidence for small scale occupation in the prehistoric and medieval periods. A small number of other features could not be assigned to period but to be medieval or earlier. The majority of the features encountered
dated to the post-medieval and modern periods and related to the use of The White House when it was a working farm …

Read more

Palmers Department Store

Archaeological monitoring was undertaken during the excavation for a new lift shaft within Palmers Department Store, Bury St Edmunds. The excavation identified the remains of five brick walls with a date range of the 15th century through to the 18th century. These walls appeared to be cellar walls, some of which were still in use, with a later 19th/20th century backfilling. Two possible wells were also identified below the walls. A time capsule buried behind a doorframe within the basement contained a local trading token dated 1795 and a folded parchment naming the building developer and a list of tradesman …

Read more

Land off of Bardwell Road

The stripping of topsoil from land off of Bardwell Road, Ixworth revealed natural chalk directly below the soil and an absence of archaeological features. Four objects, including two Roman coins, were recovered by metal detecting but do not represent a significant assemblage given the proximity of a known Roman settlement and probable road to the site …

Read more

Thorington Hall

This archaeological desk based assessment was undertaken as a result of a proposal for housing development on land to the south west of Bobbits Lane, Pinewood. It includes an examination of the Suffolk Historic Environment
Record (HER), the Suffolk Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) data, an aerial photographic survey, a historic map and documentary search and a site walkover. …

Read more

Cockfield Hall

This archaeological desk based assessment was undertaken as a result proposed development at Cockfield Hall (a Grade I listed building with Grade II* gate house) and included an examination of the Suffolk HER, a documentary study, a historic map search and a site walkover, to set the site within its immediate archaeological landscape. …

Read more

5 Honey Hill

The recording of a footing running across the garden of No.5 Honey Hill exposed the remains of at least two building extensions. The latest comprised a mortar and rubble foundation for sill beams that is dated from the late 18th century, over an earlier floor of clay. At least two pits predating the clay floor were identified but not excavated …

Read more