Land Adjacent to West Stow and Wordwell Club

An archaeological monitoring was undertaken during the excavation of footing trenches for a single new dwelling adjacent to the West Stow and Wordwell Club, West Stow. The site was located to the north-east of known area of Iron Age, Saxon and medieval occupation (WSW 006). …

Read more

Nato fence, RAF Mildenhall

Archaeological evaluation in advance of the construction of a new fenceline at the western end of the runway at RAF Mildenhall identified one, possibly Roman, ditch and two undated gullies. The site lies within an area of Bronze Age and Roman occupation …

Read more

All Saints Church

A survey to record the round tower of All Saints church, Mettingham was undertaken as part of project to repair and stabilise the structure. The survey results suggest that the original nave and tower and belfry were constructed in three closely spaced phases in the period between the Norman conquest and c.1200. The church continued to be developed and enlarged throughout the 14th - 16th centuries to arrive at its present form. The fitting of the present bell-frame in the late medieval period required the opening up of the top of the tower to lower the bell frame in before rebuilding the belfry around it. Dendro-chronological analysis is to be undertaken to confirm the date of this event …

Read more

Forest Survey July 2008

A rapid archaeological earthwork survey of forestry compartments was carried out during July 2008 in north-west Suffolk and south Norfolk as part of an ongoing program which aims to identify any earthworks or other visible archaeological features which survive within areas managed by the Forestry Commission, and to establish whether any of these earthworks will be affected by, and require possible protection from, planned programmes of destumping, felling or
other activities. …

Read more

Lower Chare Farmhouse

An archaeological monitoring of foundation trenches for an extension to the existing farmhouse at Lower Chare Farm in Stanton was undertaken. A single undated, though probably post medieval, pit/ditch terminal was encountered, no artefacts were recovered from the soil horizons …

Read more

Land off Stevenson Approach, Broom Street

An archaeological evaluation took place on land off Stevenson Approach, Great Cornard on the 29th July 2008 during the construction of five dwellings on land previously forming part of the garden of Number 3 Broom Street …

Read more

No.2 Southgate St

A small oven was found during monitoring of footing trenches at the rear of No.2 Southgate St; a medieval timber-framed building. The oven was sealed beneath a medieval clay floor which was cut by later rubbish pits. The pits were dated by pottery to 16th-18th century …

Read more

The Manor Farm, The Green

Monitoring of ground works on land at The Manor Farm, Saxtead, was carried out as a condition of the planning consent. Modern disturbance was evident over much of the site but a large, deep feature visible in the south west corner of the footings is likely to represent a backfilled pond which was extant c. 1900 when it was shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. No evidence for concentrated occupation or other activity was identified, either as incised features or artefactual evidence in the sections or upcast spoil …

Read more