41 Callis Street

Archaeological monitoring was carried out during the excavation of footings for a building extension at 31 Callis Street, Clare. This exposed a massive cut for a Victorian culvert. It also exposed a series of intercutting pits with a dark uniform fill, which are interpreted as a quarry pits for extracting gravel …

Read more

Hill Farm Barns, Clays Hill Road

An archaeological monitoring was carried out during groundwork associated with a barn conversion. Generally the monitoring revealed a vertical sequence of boulder clay sealed by modern topsoil. The only archaeological feature was a post-medieval sunken barrel, presumably used as a water butt or reservoir …

Read more

90 Church Street

An archaeological monitoring was carried out to the rear of 90 Church Street, Lavenham, during the construction of a new rear extension. The extension footprint was seen to lie in a former patio area that been terraced into the natural slope, largely removing potential archaeological levels …

Read more

2a, Station Road

Monitoring of groundworks for a new dwellings at 2a, Station Road, Hadleigh, was carried out as a condition of the planning consent in order to record any archaeological evidence revealed. Strip foundations revealed no archaeological interventions but suggested that some landscaping or levelling had occurred, perhaps during the construction of a building which previously occupied the site. A capped and brick lined well was recorded in the south west corner of the site which is likely to be a pump illustrated on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map dated c.1900 …

Read more

100 Rope Walk

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on land at 100, Rope Walk, Ipswich, in advance of the development of this area as a series of all weather sports grounds and a sports hall. The evaluation consisted of the mechanical excavation of eight trenches with a total length of c. 270m. …

Read more

Little Thurlow Hall, Pound Green

Monitoring for a site strip for a swimming pool and the foundation trenches for a pool house at Little Thurlow Hall, Pound Green, Little Thurlow, were monitored. These works revealed post-medieval features filled generally with topsoil, which are thought to relate to the Canal Garden that was present on the site. Post-medieval finds were prevalent, although one piece of pottery and another of CBM were medieval. Several undated features were also recorded. The site was relatively undisturbed, although there were high levels of post-medieval activity …

Read more

Theberton Hall Farm

An archaeological evaluation was carried out at Theberton Hall Farm, Theberton, in advance of the construction of a proposed agricultural reservoir. Four trenches with a total length of 120m were excavated across the reservoir site which revealed the presence of a number of ditches, one of which yielded two sherds of medieval pottery, two pits and a possible posthole from which a single sherd of medieval pottery was recovered. The possible posthole suggests the presence of a medieval structure within the footprint of the proposed reservoir …

Read more

Pennoyers

An archaeological monitoring of groundworks was carried out during the restoration and redevelopment of Pennoyers School, Pulham St Mary, Norfolk …

Read more

Former Telephone Exchange

An archaeological evaluation carried out on land at the former Telephone Exchange, Hartest Hill, Hartest, in advance of the construction of a residential property identified a single ditch, relating to a boundary shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey of 1885 …

Read more