Mulleys Garage

An evaluation and subsequent excavation were carried out on land at Mulleys Garage, Ixworth. The evaluation consisted of two trenches running alongside the western and northern extents of the development area and identified a well, three pits, two postholes, a ditch and an archaeological layer. These features ranged in date from the Roman to post-medieval periods …

Read more

Abbey Gardens Play Area

Monitoring of groundworks for the construction of a new play area and the removal of old play equipment in the Abbey Gardens of Bury St Edmunds revealed no archaeological features, but did identify former banks of the River Lark and its channel to the west. The former appeared to deviate from its current course on the east bank, despite extant features from the same period respecting it. The latter was infilled sometime during the 18th or 19th centuries, and most of the site overlay the filled in riverbed …

Read more

The Old Rectory

An archaeological monitoring was carried out during conversion and extension of a coach house to a residential annex at The Old Rectory, Church Street, Lavenham. The project monitored the lowering of the floor of the existing coach house by 0.4m, excavation of 14.5m of footing trenches and the excavation of two areas outside the building …

Read more

LVIS Gate 8, RAF Lakenheath

Twenty trial trenches were excavated over three visits on land at RAF Lakenheath in advance of the construction of a new heavy vehicle gate. The northern third of the development area covered a surviving portion of the Wangford/Lakenheath medieval warren and trial trenches were targeted across the warren to record the profiles, extent of the earthwork and surmise a method of construction. …

Read more

The Mix, 127 Ipswich Street

Two trial trenches placed to the east and centre of the site found no evidence for features or finds of archaeological significance. The central trench encountered extensive modern pitting of 20th Century date. The eastern trench appears to be within a sunken area according to the Ordnance Survey map of 1882, possibly associated with an ornamental garden suggested by the tithe map of 1839. Extensive truncation is likely in this area …

Read more

Irrigation Reservoir, Felixstowe Road

An archaeological evaluation was carried on land off Felixstowe Road, Foxhall in advance of the construction of a new reservoir. Ditches associated with a known cropmark complex were identified as well as a series of pits. Finds were sparse, but where present in stratified contexts ranged from Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age in date …

Read more

Former Methodist Chapel and Boys Brigade Hall, Bury Road

An English Heritage Level 1 building recording was carried out on the former Methodist Chapel and Boys Brigade Hall on Bury Road, Hargrave, Suffolk. The Methodist Chapel was built in 1926 and constructed from brick with concrete rendering. It was largely unaltered, except for the additions of central heating, electricity, a toilet, new kitchen facilities and the associated minor structural changes. …

Read more

Freckenham Road

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on land to the north of Freckenham Road, Worlington, to the west of the village. Four trenches were excavated, all of which revealed evidence of medieval occupation on the site in the form of ditches, pits and a large buried deposit. The features produced pottery, animal bone, ceramic building material (CBM), marine shells and lava quern. Some unstratified worked flint was also recovered. There appeared to be at least two or more phases of occupation, from the 10th to the 14th century. Several other undated features were also excavated. The archaeological levels were well preserved below topsoil and ploughsoil layers …

Read more