An evaluation carried out in advance of residential development on land to the rear of 132 High Street showed a high level of preservation of the natural subsoil beneath a deep garden topsoil. Two trenches located a series of nine ditches, predominantly aligned north-south, containing pottery dating to the 12-13th century. These ditches were roughly parallel to each other and were on a similar alignment to the High Street and the surrounding modern property boundaries, indicating that the current land division in the area is a continuation of the medieval layout.
Layers sealing these ditches contained material of a later medieval/post-medieval date indicating that these ditches had fallen out of use during the medieval period and, with the deep build up of topsoil, indicates that the site has probably been used as domestic gardens since then. The trenches clearly showed that a large house, shown on the 1783 Hodskinsons map, was not present in the development area.